TEN PRINCIPAL SUFI THOUGHTS
- There is One God, the Eternal, the Only Being; none exists save God.
- There is One Master, the Guiding Spirit of all Souls, Who constantly leads followers towards the light.
- There is One Holy Book, the sacred manuscript of nature, which truly enlightens the reader.
- There is One Religion, the unswerving progress in the right direction towards the ideal, which fulfils the life’s purpose of every soul.
- There is One Law, the law of reciprocity, which can be observed by a selfless conscience together with a sense of awakened justice.
- There is One Brotherhood and Sisterhood, the human brotherhood and sisterhood, which unites the children of earth indiscriminately in the Parenthood of God.
- There is One Moral, the love which springs forth from self-denial, and blooms in deeds of beneficence.
- There is One Object of Praise, the beauty which uplifts the heart of its worshippers through all aspects from the seen to the unseen.
- There is One Truth, the true knowledge of our being, within and without, which is the essence of all wisdom.
- There is One Path, the annihilation of the false ego in the real, which raises the mortal to immortality, and in which resides all perfection.
Based on the “Ten Sufi Thoughts” in The Way of Illumination by Hazrat Inayat Khan.
THE OBJECTS OF THE ORDER
- To realize and spread the knowledge of unity, the religion of love and wisdom, so that the bias of faith and beliefs may of itself fall away, the human heart may overflow with love and all hatred caused by distinctions and differences may be rooted out.
- To discover the light and power latent within all human beings, that is the secret of all religion, the power of mysticism, and the essence of philosophy, without interfering with customs or belief.
- To help to bring the worlds opposite poles closer together by the interchange of thought and ideals, that a Universal Kinship may form of itself, and we may find a way together to see beyond national and racial boundaries.
- Healing is a natural gift inherent in every human being which can be used to heal oneself and others.
- ‘Healing’ could be described as supporting the soul’s journey towards wholeness.
- We can heal ourselves through how we breathe, through our diet, our thinking, feelings and attitudes, by cultivating rhythm and balance, and by listening and responding to the yearning of our heart and soul.
- Healing ourselves helps to develop our compassion, balance, strength and will; it may prepare us for giving healing to others.
- There are many modes of giving healing, from physical touch, directing personal energy, compassionate listening, giving mental suggestions and offering magnetized objects (such as crystals or water), to spiritual healing in the presence of a healer or through prayer and distant healing. The former methods may help to develop a healer’s aptitude for offering spiritual healing.
- At the core of all healing is the deepening of the healer’s heart in dedication to serve all beings through the ideal of divine love and compassion.
- Sensing that there is a universal life source which pervades creation and infuses matter with life, human beings have often called its creative power and radiance ‘Spirit’, or ‘Holy Spirit’. It is both original perfection and the inherent potential for every being to evolve towards wholeness. Spiritual healing involves prayer, meditation and intercessory resonance between the wholeness of the divine spirit and the one or the group requesting healing.
- The secret of becoming a channel for spiritual healing is to rise above the limitations of one’s own preoccupations and view of life, and to attune to the universal divine presence.
- The effect of healing may be deeper than appears in the body or mind. The soul is the sacred depth of each individual which is yearning to evolve towards wholeness.
- The beneficial effects of healing may enhance health at any level and at any stage of life, including contributing to a peaceful transition in the process of dying.
- All healing and self-healing contribute to the awakening of the whole family of humanity to the power of the Divine Spirit to heal.